대학생활
한동광장
Handong Agora

대학 공지

새로운 임기를 시작하며 - 장순흥 총장
작성자: 비서실   |   작성일: 2018.02.01   |   조회: 5150

새로운 임기를 시작하며

안녕하십니까,

지난 4년간의 시간을 되돌아보면서, 두 번째 임기를 맞이하는 이 시점에서 함께 기도와 수고로 동역하여 온 여러분들께 진심으로 감사 드리는 마음입니다. 지난 4년을 돌이켜 보면 11.15 지진을 비롯한 수많은 사건, 사고들이 있었지만 놀랍게 채워 주신 하나님의 은혜가 참으로 큽니다. 저희 대학이 대학구조개혁평가에서 최우수 등급을 받은 것부터 각종 재정지원사업에 선정되어 학생들과 학교가 많은 수혜를 누릴 수 있었던 점, 기상청 관측 이래 역대 규모의 지진 피해 속에서도 4천 여명의 한동인들이 무사할 수 있었던 점, 하나하나가 감사한 제목입니다. 많은 분들의 기도와 후원으로 지진 복구작업이 진행 중에 있으며, 앞으로도 더욱 튼튼한 한동 캠퍼스로 안정되도록 계속적으로 노력을 다할 것입니다. 올해까지 복구 및 보강 작업을 완료하고 이번을 계기로 안전에 부족한 부분을 더욱 보강함으로써 안전한 캠퍼스를 구축하도록 힘쓰겠습니다. 구름 뒤에 태양이 있음을 때마다 실감한 지난 4년, 어려움 속에서도 기쁨과 보람이 가득한 시간이었습니다.

저의 두 번째 임기를 맞이하면서 4가지 다짐을 함께 나누고 싶습니다.

첫째, 하나님의 대학, 한동의 정체성을 지키기 위해 더욱 노력하겠습니다. 갈라디아서 1장 10절 말씀에서 “이제 내가 사람들에게 좋게 하랴 하나님께 좋게 하랴 사람들에게 기쁨을 구하랴 내가 지금까지 사람들의 기쁨을 구하였다면 그리스도의 종이 아니니라”는 바울의 고백처럼, 사람들의 눈과 기분만을 맞추는 것이 아니라, 한동대학교가 하나님의 대학으로서 좌로나 우로나 치우치지 않고 오직 말씀을 따르도록 더욱 노력하겠습니다. "너희는 이 세대를 본받지 말고 오직 마음을 새롭게 함으로 변화를 받아 하나님의 선하시고 기뻐하시고 온전하신 뜻이 무엇인지 분별하도록 하라(롬 12:2)"는 말씀과 같이 문화가 성경을 지배하는 이 시대 가운데 성경의 가치를 지키는 한동이 되기를 간절히 소망합니다. 특별히 하나님께서 가장 강조하시는 영혼 구원에 힘쓰는 한 해가 되었으면 합니다. 누가복음 15장 7절에서는 “내가 너희에게 이르노니 이와 같이 죄인 한 사람이 회개하면 하늘에서는 회개할 것이 없는 의인 아흔아홉으로 말미암아 기뻐하는 것보다 더하리라”하셨습니다. 또한, 요한복음 3장 16절에서는 “하나님이 세상을 이처럼 사랑하사 독생자를 주셨으니 이는 그를 믿는 자마다 멸망하지 않고 영생을 얻게 하려 하심이라”고 하셨습니다. 하나님께서 가장 기뻐하시면서도 이웃에게 가장 큰 선물은 바로 복음 전도입니다. 한동대학교가 오직 말씀을 따르고 하나님 사랑, 이웃 사랑의 정신을 실천하며 복음 전도에 힘쓰는 대학이 되도록 노력하겠습니다.

둘째, ‘주는 대학 한동, 주는 인재를 양성하는 한동’이 되도록 노력하겠습니다. 이를 위해서 우리 한동인들이 먼저 ‘믿음, 소망, 사랑’의 영성으로 행복한 삶을 누릴 수 있기를 기도하고 있습니다. 먼저 하나님 안에서 참된 행복을 발견하고 충만한 믿음, 소망,사랑을 누려야 줄 수 있는 영성과 인성을 갖출 수 있을 것입니다. 하나님을 사랑하고 또 이웃을 사랑하는 일에 모범이 되는 한동이 될 수 있도록 날마다 기도하고 있습니다. “내가 확신하노니 사망이나 생명이나 천사들이나 권세자들이나 현재 일이나 장래 일이나 능력이나 높음이나 깊음이나 다른 어떤 피조물이라도 우리를 우리 주 그리스도 예수 안에 있는 하나님의 사랑에서 끊을 수 없으리라 (롬 8:38-39)” 말씀과 같이, 하나님의 사랑에 얽매이는 한동인이 됨으로써 참 행복을 누릴 수 있기를 소망합니다. 정체성을 지키는 것만큼 중요한 것은 올바로 정립된 정체성을 바탕으로 하는 실천적인 행동입니다. 사도행전 20장 35절에서는 “주는 것이 받는 것보다 복이 있다”고 하셨습니다. 똑같이 단 하나의 목숨이 있는 사람이라도 어떤 이는 누군가의 도움을 기다리고 받기만을 기다리는가 하면, 어떤 이는 먼저 위기와 문제를 타개하고 오히려 다른 사람을 도와 줍니다. 저는 “Why Not Change the World?”의 슬로건을 외치는 한동이라면 받을 때까지 가만히 기다리는 것이 아니라 먼저 주는 한동인이 되어야 한다고 생각합니다.

셋째, 문제해결을 잘 하는 지혜로운 한동인, 창의적인 한동인을 양성하기 위해 계속적으로 노력하겠습니다. 4차산업혁명시대는 골리앗과 같은 거대한 하드웨어적 규모보다도 다윗의 물매질과 같은 민첩한 신성장 동력 및 골리앗을 쓰러뜨린 돌멩이 하나와 같은 작지만 강한 무기를 필요로 합니다. 내수 기반 약화, 수출경쟁력 저하, 저출산 및 고령화로 인한 취약한 인구 구조 등 여러 난관을 앞둔 대한민국은 공식에 길들여지지 않은, 야성을 갖춘 다윗과 같은 인재가 필요합니다. 주어진 정답에 어긋나지 않기 위해 암기식 위주의 학습에 몰두하는 것이 아니라 우리 주변의 문제, 지역사회의 문제, 국가의 문제, 전 세계가 직면하고 있는 문제가 무엇인지 찾아내고 이를 해결하기 위해 지속적으로 공부하고 연구하는 한동이 되도록 계속 애쓰겠습니다. 빠르게 변화하는 시대에 있어 교육·연구의 핵심은 평생 적극적으로 배우고자 하는 자세와 자기주도적 학습역량을 가지고 주어진 난관을 지혜롭고 창의적으로 타개해 나가는 것입니다. 문제발견능력과 문제해결능력을 키우기 위해 자유학기제 및 자율전공, 한동대학교 10대 프로젝트, project-based 수업을 더욱 활성화할 것입니다. 이 시대 대부분의 문제들이 한 분야에 국한되어 있기보다는 여러 분야에 걸쳐 융합되어 있기 때문에 융합 교육의 중요성이 매우 큽니다. 문제란 항상 복잡해 보이고 어려워 보이지만, 작은 것에서부터 해결책이 존재하는 경우가 많습니다. 이러한 문제들을 해결하기 위해 학문적으로 열심히 노력하다 얻는 결과가 연구가 되고, 비즈니스적으로 풀어 가다 보면 창업이 되기도 합니다. 이러한 역량을 키우기 위해 현실 및 현장과 연결된 교육, 융합형 교육, 프로젝트형 교육에 힘쓰겠습니다.

넷째, 글로컬 한동이 되도록 더욱 노력하겠습니다. 현재 실리콘밸리, 워싱턴 DC, 이스라엘, 상해 등을 비롯한 선진국에 지속적인 인턴십 파견 및 단기 코스 프로그램을 진행하고 있을 뿐만 아니라 베트남, 인도네시아, 캄보디아, 케냐, 말라위 등 커다란 잠재력을 가진 개발도상국과 협력하여 각종 봉사 및 프로젝트를 추진하고 있습니다. 또한, 해외 학생 유치에 더욱 적극적인 노력을 기울이고 학부생 뿐만 아니라 대학원에도 글로벌 석, 박사과정을 활성화하도록 하겠습니다. 한동의 글로벌 네트워크를 더욱 폭넓게 구축하고 활발히 가동함으로써 전 세계로 뻗어가는 글로벌 한동이 되도록 더욱 노력할 것입니다. 한동의 글로벌화 뿐만 아니라 포항의 글로벌화를 위해서도 아이디어를 내고 한동의 달란트를 적극적으로 사용하도록 더욱 노력하겠습니다. 포항을 더욱 매력적인 도시로 만들기 위해 한동이 노력하면, 시와의 관계도 개선될 뿐만 아니라 우리가 위치하고 있는 도시가 성장함으로써 한동도 함께 발전할 것입니다. 2014년 제가 부임하며 발표한 10대 프로젝트와 같이 먼저 지역발전 프로젝트, 통일한국 프로젝트 등을 적극 실천함으로써 이웃과 주변을 구체적으로 돕는 한동이 되어야겠습니다.

앞으로도 한동이 하나님께서 주신 아이디어와 맡겨 주신 달란트를 적극적으로 계발하고 사용할 수 있기를 간절히 소망합니다. 하나님의 대학으로서 정체성을 올곧게 지키고, 하나님 사랑, 이웃 사랑의 정신을 실천하며 적극적으로 주는 한동이 되기를 날마다 기도하며, 또 그렇게 살아갑시다.

감사합니다.

한동대학교 총장 장 순 흥

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Looking back over the past four years at Handong as my second term as president begins, I am deeply grateful to all of you who have worked together in prayer and with hard work. There were many events and things that have happened over those years including the earthquake on November 15, but God’s amazing grace was always more than sufficient. Beginning with Handong receiving the highest evaluation for University Structural Reform, there were countless other blessings such as being selected for several government-funded projects that gives many benefits to our students. God’s blessing was also shown through the safe evacuation of everyone on campus after the most powerful earthquake in Korea’s modern history. With everyone’s prayer and support, the restoration work on campus is in progress and we will do our best to make the campus safer and stronger. By the end of this year, the restoration and reinforcement work will be completed and we will continue to put safety first on our campus. The past four years, while challenging, has also been joyful and rewarding. There has been the realization that the sun is always behind the clouds.

There are four commitments that I would like to share with you as my second term begins.

First, I will do my best to keep the identity of Handong - God’s University. Just as Paul said in Galatians 1:10, “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ,” Handong Global University, as God’s University, will only follow the Word of God, instead of turning to the right or to the left, and not use the standards of man. It is my sincere hope that Handong guards the values of the Bible in this generation when culture has been used to prevail over the Word of God. As Romans 12:2 says, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God–this is your true and proper worship.” I pray that we focus on salvation, which God emphasizes the most. Luke 15:7 says, “I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.” Also, John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” God is most pleased when we share the greatest gift, the Gospel, with our neighbors. Handong Global University will do its best to only obey the Word of God; to love God and others; and to share the Gospel.

Second, we will be known as a ‘Giving Handong, educating students to become givers’. For this vision, I am praying for the Handong community to enjoy spiritually happy lives of faith, hope, and love. We need to first discover true happiness in God and be filled with faith, hope, and love to have the spiritual and moral ability to give to others. I pray every day for all of us to become good models for loving God and loving others. As it is written in Romans 8:38-39, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord,” I hope that all of us at Handong will be tied to God’s unending love and experience true joy. Just as it is critical in keeping our identity, it is important to have practical action based on this well-established identity. Acts 20:35 says, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Even with one life given equally to everyone, one may sit and wait for assistance from others, while another solves problem and help others. I believe that we at Handong who proclaim the slogan “Why Not Change the World?” should not simply wait to receive, but be quick to give.

Thirdly, we will continue to educate our students to become creative, wise, and excellent in problem solving. The Fourth Industrial Revolution era requires a David-like agility and efficiency as he used a stone that was able to defeat Goliath, rather than brute strength. While South Korea is facing number of challenges such as weak domestic demand, poor export competitiveness, a vulnerable population due to a low birthrate and aging, we need talented people like David who had a dynamic nature that was not tamed by the existing formula. We will avoid memorization-based learning that seeks only the given answer, and aim to look at the problems facing our local community, the country, and the world and thoroughly study, research, and look for appropriate solutions. In this fast-changing world, the core of education and research is to work through the given challenges wisely and creatively with the aggressive attitude of learning and self-directed learning ability. To strengthen the skill of identifying the problem and problem solving ability, the self-guided study semester system and major, Handong’s 10 Projects, and project-based classes will be activated. Convergence education is necessary because most of the problems in this era are not confined to just one field, but are integrated into many. Problems always seem to be complicated and difficult, but in many cases, the solution lies at the bottom. It becomes research when we approach the problems academically, and it becomes a start-up when we approach it through business. To develop these competencies, we will work on education that is linked to real world fields, convergent education, and project-based lectures.

Lastly, we will strive to become a Glocal Handong. We are currently sending our students for internships and short-term programs to technologically developed areas such as Silicon Valley, Washington D.C., Israel, and Shanghai. We are also working on various kinds of volunteer service projects in developing countries that have great potential such as in Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia, Kenya and Malawi. In addition, we will make more active efforts to attract overseas students and will promote global scholarships and doctoral programs for graduate students as well as undergraduate students. By establishing and expanding the global network of Handong, we will become a truly global Handong, spreading out all over the world. We will not only work for the globalization of Handong, but also provide ideas and share Handong’s talents for the globalization of Pohang. When Handong helps to make Pohang a more attractive city, we will have better relations with the city. The growth of Pohang will help Handong’s development. In addition to the 10 projects I announced in 2014, Handong will actively participate in local development projects and the project of a unified Korea to help our immediate neighbors and others.

I wholeheartedly hope that Handong develops and uses the ideas and talents that God has so graciously given to us. Let us pray everyday for Handong that we keep our identity as God’s University while loving God and others.

Thank you.

Soon-Heung Chang
President of Handong University

목록
수정
37554 경북 포항시 북구 흥해읍 한동로 558 한동대학교
Tel: 054-260-1111
Fax: 054-260-1149
한동대학교
copyright(c) Handong Global University. All rights resesrved