Frequently Asked Questions
For Admission (Undergraduate)
Q1How do I apply?
Normally, the guideline is posted on our homepage around two months before the submission period begins. There are two ways to apply for undergraduate studies: Cornerstone scholarship and General.
Q2What is the difference between applying for Cornerstone Scholarship and General admission?
Cornerstone scholarship is a full scholarship given to Christian students from developing countries, and it is more competitive than general admission. General admission is for students from both developed countries and developing countries.
Q3Who gets to be selected as a Cornerstone scholarship recipient?
Students who get to be selected as a Cornerstone scholarship recipient have acquired high academic achievement during high school time as well as from ones’ national examination, and also have participated in their society events, have done volunteer works, have gone mission trips, have set clear goal, etc. Submitting supplementary documents to support one’s ability or to show one’s potential in academic area can help the evaluation (e.g. TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, TOPIK, IB, SAT).
Q4Who should I contact?
After Admission
Q1 How do I apply for my student visa?
After registering from admissions, international student coordinator advisor will screen your submitted documents for issuance of the admission letter. If you have turned in all the necessary documents, a visa packet will then be sent through regular mail.
Q2 Do I need to apply for insurance?
All international students enrolled at Handong are required to purchase an insurance plan. You can either submit an insurance card, which you got from your home country or purchase one once you arrive in Handong.
Q3 What is a medical checkup?
All students reside in dorm MUST submit a health test result. Submit bot scanned and original copy of the examination result. The result should be translated in English (no notarization required). Based on the health test result, students may be denied residence in dorm.
Examination Check List Check purpose and related disease
Urine examination 4 types of stick 1. Urin glucose level
2. Microscopic Analysis red or white blood cell
3. Protein
4. PH
Blood Hepatitis B HBS-Ag, HBS-Ab Hepatitis B and check for antibody creation
Radiation Chest X-ray,
Tuberculosis, Bronchial tubes disease,
the pleural related disease and etc
Q4 When and what do we do during orientation
Orientation will be held usually a week before the semester starts. We will be having team meetings, open a bank account, medical checkup and etc. During the orientation, we will be visiting the immigration office to register an alien registration card. Students should bring a valid passport.
Q5 Do I have to take all my stuff home between semesters or during school breaks?
No. If you are staying during semester, you can apply for vacation residence and move to another assigned room during the break.
Q6 Can I work in Korea?
Work is limited 25 hours per week during semester. Eligible to work after 6month students arrived in Korea. Must make a report to OIA before start working.
Employment on or off campus must be a company or school, which has a business registration license.
Q7 How much should I bring?
You will need approximately 1,000,000 KRW for the first month in HGU. You may not be able to withdraw money or receive money easily for the first few weeks at HGU, so we recommend having a certain amount of cash on hand. The necessary fees can be broken down as follows:

- travel expenses in Korea : 100,000 KRW (estimated)
- textbooks : 250,000 KRW (estimated)
- orientation fee : 200,000 KRW (estimated)
- blanket, bed cover, etc. : 100,000 KRW (estimated)
- living expenses/month : 350,000 KRW (estimated)
Q8 Who should I contact?
Exchange Programs
Q1 How much is the tuition and accomodation/board fee for exchange student?
Tuition for exchange student is contingent on the exchange agreement between two universities. Please contact us at to find out what tuition rate may apply to your status. Some may be granted tuition waiver; some may pay up to 4,000,000KRW per semester.

- Tuition for Visiting Student : 5,000,000 KRW per semester
- Room : 650,000-700,000 KRW (Meal plan is not included)
- Board : Students can purchase meal plan after arriving at Handong. A meal coasts 2,800-5,000 KRW
- Orientation Fee : 200,000 KRW (estimated)
- Books : 200,000 KRW (estimated)
Q2 Does Handong offer classes in English, and how many courses are open for exchange students?
About 30% of major courses are offered in English, and few selected courses such as Global Management (GM), Information Technology (IT), and US & International Law (UIL) are offered 100% in English. Nearly every course is open to exchange students, unless course is restricted by instructor for various reason (e.g. prerequisite). Minimum required course load is 12 credits, and maximum is 22 credits. (e.g. prerequisite). Minimum required course load is 12 credits, and maximum is 22 credits.
Q3 What is the difference between Exchange Student and Visiting Student?
If you are currently attending one of the overseas partner institutions of the Handong, you may apply as an exchange student. If you are not from one of the partner institutions with HGU, you may also choose to apply as a visiting student.
Q4 When Spring / Fall semester starts at HGU?
HGU's one academic year is composed of two regular semesters (Spring & Fall). Spring semester starts from March to June and fall semester starts from September to December. One regular semester is composed of 16 weeks including the midterm and final week.
Q5 What's the course registration process?
After being accepted, you will receive the course registration form, and you are required to fill it out and submit it by the due date. However, after you arrive at the campus, you will still be able to add/drop courses until the 2nd week after the semester starts.
Q6 How can I transfer my credits which I earned at HGU to my home university?
You have to discuss with both the International office and your academic advisor at your home university about the process transferring credits before you apply to HGU. We will send your official transcript to your home university within 45 days after the semester end, and you can transfer your HGU credits by the policy of your home university.
Q7 What are the application requirements?
Following documents need to be sent by e-mail (
- Application form (Recommendation Form and Handong Pledge are included)
- Official transcript
- Copy of passport
- Bank statement or Financial Guarantee from your home university
- 1 Head-shoulder photo
Q8 When is the application deadline?
Fall Semester (September-December): Until the end of May / Spring Semester (March-June): Until the end of November
Q9 What is the difference between Regular dormitories and I-house?
In regular dormitories, the main language is Korean and all the staffs speak Korean. The advantages you will get are that you will have a great chance to experience Korean culture and will be able to learn Korean faster than others. On the other hand, I-house is a dormitory designed specially to cultivate students with global minds. Many students with vastly different backgrounds live to getter in this small community.
Q10 Who should I contact?
Handong Global University 558 Handong-ro Buk-gu, Pohang Gyeongbuk 37554 Republic of Korea
Tel. +82-54-260-1111
ⓒ 2015 Handong Global University, All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy